A Historic, South Katoomba Landmark Property with Enviro/Lifestyle features for today!
- Two exquisite houses on the escarpment overlooking Jamison Valley to Leura;
- Unique exteriors of American Redwood shingling and vertical Australian Jarrah weatherboards;
- Former Writer's Retreat at No 4 (circa 1930s) and Main House at No 6 (circa 1916). Both houses exude Arts and Crafts style exteriors and interiors;
- North/East facing rear large deck off Main House with amazing views;
- Versatile floor plan with ornate ceilings throughout;
- Main bathroom with claw foot bath and large separate toilet
- Amazing timbers including Queensland Maple and English Oak panelling;
- 42 Solar panels, smart meter, rain water tank, solar hot water to main home, Rinnai Infinity Gas Heating at No 4;
- Insulated roof and cavity walls;
- Chook yards, large workshop/ storage under main house,herb/raised bed veggie garden, fruit trees, chestnut trees in a mature terraced escarpment garden over 100 years old, with level entrance/ access at front of property;
- Private walk/ access through garden onto world-famous Prince Henry Cliff Walk;
- Private fern grotto showcasing the amazing peace and tranquillity of this property
Two houses north-east facing on Katoomba's escarpment, overlooking the Jamison Valley.
Easy access to both Leura and Katoomba village centres. Just a few minutes' walk from the Vihara Buddhist Centre on Cliff Drive and the Three Sisters.
In total, there are 7/8 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 5 toilets, and off-street parking for 6 cars (including a garage for 2 cars).
Property acquired in late 1800s, with main house (No 6) built in 1916 and Writer's Retreat next door, No 4, in 1930s. Exterior on both houses consists of vertical jarrah weatherboards and American Redwood shingling. Arts and Crafts-style property. Wide eaves and siting of both properties make it warm in Winter and cool in Summer. Property on 2 titles, with Writers' Retreat straddling boundary. Handcrafted, durable and sustainable bespoke timber kitchens in both houses, featuring timbers found in both houses - such as jarrah and Baltic pine.
Floor plan of houses has multiple potential and use. One of the houses has been used as a holiday let. Large workshop under main house.
Extensive use of timbers inside both houses and ornate plaster ceilings (restored by current owner/s in main house. 12 ft high ceiling in lounge room, main house, with Queensland Maple paneling (a now rare rainforest timber) make it particularly wonderful acoustically for music.
Roughly 1 acre of 100 year old garden, said to be one of the minor gardens worked on by Sorensen, with private access through garden onto Prince Henry Cliff Walk and elevated views overlooking Leura. An immersive and interactive garden. Decks overlook the views and gardens.
Signature plantings encompassing cedars, conifers, including an outstanding Nepalese Cedar in front garden in a woodland setting. Garden also features signature plantings of Cooper Beech, maples azaleas and rhododendrons.
Local stone terraced gardens with private fern grotto leading to Prince Henry Cliff Walk, with entry point at Lomandra Lookout.
Chestnut trees, remnant orchard - very old apple trees, lemon tree, plum tree terrace, raised vegetable and herb gardens, vertical citrus garden under construction. Chook house behind garage.
Member, Humane Society International's Wildlife Land Trust (around 500 properties in Australia), with an ongoing commitment to establishing and maintaining habitat for native animals and birds: lyrebirds, bowerbirds, parrots, rosellas, yellow robins, silver eyes and a myriad of other birds are frequent visitors at Cloudlands.
Current owner purchased the property derelict with her late husband 21 years ago and is reluctantly downsizing.
Retro-fitted environmental features include: Insulation in ceilings and walls, wherever possible, both houses, during restoration. Installation of Rainwater tank, 42 solar panels now on smart meter, with option to go off-grid. Efficient gas convection heating throughout, open fire in Retreat, Yotul fire in main house as well as gas log fire in lounge room. Solar hot water in main house, Rinnai Infinity hot water in Retreat.
During restoration owners rewired property and redid plumbing, replacing all old terracotta piping.
Back to base alarm system installed for both houses.
This is an outstanding property not to be missed by the astute buyer who would appreciate the amount of work that has gone into this beautiful home.
Call Victoria Freeman 0425 224 889 to make an appointment to view Cloudlands.
Go to www.cloudlands.com.au/history for more information on this historical gem.
Expressions of Interest
Contact agent for details